Before going into the school today, I did some preparation for our printmaking session. I knew it was important to keep it as simple as possible, but for the children to have the chance to try a few different printing methods. I collected some dried leaves in the park to use for mono prints, and made a lino stamp of the title of the story for the children to use on their front covers. I also gathered some examples of Victorian prints for inspiration, looking specifically at the beautiful work of May Morris, who was responsible for creating some of the era’s most iconic textiles and wallpaper designs. See more about her here.
Then I had fun experimenting with styrofoam, layering colours and etching images from the story to show the children, and hopefully inspire them to have a go with their own ideas.